A Kenyan security guard who reportedly fell while on duty at the Lusail Stadium in Qatar has died in hospital, his family and officials have confirmed to CNN.
His employer had notified the migrant worker’s family on Saturday that 24-year-old John Njau Kibue had fallen from the eighth floor of the stadium while on duty, his sister Ann Wanjiru said.
“We don’t have the money to get justice for him, but we want to know what happened,” she told CNN.
A medical certificate obtained by CNN shows that he was admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) at Hamad General Hospital in Doha. The document says Kibue had a “severe head injury, facial fracture and pelvic fracture.”
In a statement, World Cup organizers – the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy – announced Kibue’s death.
“We regret to announce that, despite the best efforts of his medical team, he sadly passed away in hospital on Tuesday, December 13, after three days in intensive care,” the statement said.
– His next of kin have been informed. We send our sincere condolences to his family, colleagues and friends at this difficult time.”
Earlier this week, the committee announced that Kibue suffered a serious fall while on duty.
“Qatar’s tournament organizers are investigating the circumstances leading to the fall as a matter of urgency and will provide further information pending the outcome of the investigation,” it said in its statement.
“We will also ensure that his family receives all outstanding dues and monies owed.”
He had been unconscious since Saturday and was connected to a machine to help him breathe, his medical records showed. A family member was informed of the death on Monday morning.
But the security guard’s family say his Qatari employer, Al Sraiya Security Services, has not explained how he fell or any of the circumstances surrounding his death.
“We want justice. We want to know what caused his death. They never sent us a picture to show where he fell from or gave us any other information,” his sister Wanjiru told CNN.
CNN has reached out to Al Sraiya Security Services for comment following the guard’s death and has yet to receive a response.
In a statement to CNN, the Kenyan embassy in Qatar said it was aware of the matter and “is undertaking the necessary consular assistance pending official communication from Qatar’s Supreme Committee and competent authorities”.
The guard’s family says he moved to Qatar last November for a contract with Al Sraiya Security Services.
A WhatsApp message seen by CNN was sent to his colleagues at other World Cup stadiums asking for contributions.
“He came here to support his family back home but unfortunately his dreams ended today,” it reads in part. “Let us do something for our beloved comrade.”
He is the second migrant worker to be reported dead since the tournament began in the Gulf nation after another was reportedly killed in an accident at a resort used by Saudi Arabia in the group stage.